Marriage Preparation at Newman
Register online using our NEW ONLINE FORM.
- Saturday, June 22
- Saturday, August 10
- Saturday, September 14
- Saturday, October 19
- Saturday, November 9
The Newman Catholic Center offers a one-day marriage enrichment session for couples preparing for the sacrament of Marriage. We follow preparation guidelines of the Diocese of Springfield, MA. Couples do not need to be members of the Newman Community nor do they need to plan on making marriage vows in our Chapel to take part in our Pre-Cana Sessions.
The $80 registration fee includes coffee and muffins, lunch and materials. You can register and pay on-line or print out and complete the mail in registration form (PDF). Please note that if you cancel the class less than 1 week in advance, your registration fee cannot be refunded. If you need to switch to a different class date, inform us at least 1 week prior to the class or we will charge you an additional $20 fee to cover food expenses.
If registering by mail, make a check for $80, made out to Newman Catholic Center and send it along with the form to:Attn: Pre-Cana
Newman Catholic Center
472 N. Pleasant St.
Amherst, MA 01002
Couples who wish to Marry in Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Chapel at the Newman Center must first meet with our priest or deacon. Visit our Marriage page for more information.
- The class lasts from 9:00 am to roughly 4:00 pm
- We begin with a 9 am celebration of the Holy Eucharist in Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Chapel. All are welcome.
- After Mass we settle into a comfortable meeting space with coffee and tea and muffins. Participants are introduced each other and to the lead couples. The lead couples speak from an unabashedly Roman Catholic perspective and with honest respect for the varied experiences that the participating couples bring to the table.
- In the course of the day, lead couples address the promise and prospect of marriage as covenant and as sacrament; the importance of good communication, problem-solving (especially with regard to money and other material resources), and living for one another in faith; intimacy and family. Participant couples have guided opportunities to discuss these topics between themselves, and with other couples as they feel comfortable. Participant couples receive a packet of Catholic resources to work with during the day and to take home for further reflection.
- At the end of the day the opportunity of Reconciliation will be made available to anyone wishing to make the Sacrament. Just before our closing prayer each couple receives a certificate of participation in this family life ministry pre-Cana day.For any couples: The Newman Catholic Center offers many ways to grow and deepen your vocation to marriage. Please feel free to participate in any and all of the programs offered at Newman. If you would like to learn more about marriage preparation in the Diocese of Springfield, then go to the Marriage Preparation page at the Springfield Diocese Website.
Got more Questions? Please feel free to contact us at 413-549-0300 or email@example.com